Fort Sisseton
Photo courtesy of South Dakota Department of Game, Fish & Parks

     The army built Fort Sisseton in 1864. The army named it Fort Wadsworth in honor of a Civil War general. It was built to watch the Dakotas, or Santees (eastern Sioux), who were raiding white settlements. Afterwards, Renville and the Sissetons and Wahpetons moved there. Later the fort was renamed Fort Sisseton. The military closed the fort in 1888. It is still standing today, and people can visit it to see what an old-time fort was like.